Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

fishermans


One of my favourite things to do is to head to the Fisherman's Road farmers markets each week. We are very fortunate to live very close to these great markets which have a great variety of great fruit and veg and also flea market style stalls. I love going to the stalls which just sell one item, you know they have grown the produce and sell it with pride. Fisherman's also has a couple who bring a open tray truck and all the food on the back is $2 per kilogram. They sell potatoes, sweet potato, zucchini, capsicum, eggplant, lemons, onions, tomatoes, and mandarins all fresh and dirty from the farm.

What's also cool is some stalls have taste testers. There is the best popcorn I have ever tasted at Fisherman's, it is sweet and salty and oh so good. I love it cause I have the taste tester and that's all I need. This Sunday was such a great market day, we wanted to share.
[kim]

----

This week we went to the markets for our usual fruit and veg shop, however Kim always likes a wonder and we met a good friend on her push bike. We found a whole tray of fresh strawberries and Kim will make jam with them (I hope I get to help her cut the tops off, it reminds me of my grandma in France). I love thrift shops and all things bargain. We have a sweet old hat stand in our house and a good friend of ours bought us some sweet Brixton hats for our wedding present and always tells us that the hat stand is his when we leave the country. Anyway at the markets an old German lady had a similar hat stand (some might say better than ours) and we bought it off her 5 dollars cheaper than her asking price because we went to buy strawberries for her. When leaving the market I stopped to look at a book called 'The Paper Chase' and the kind old stall lady told me to take it. Exiting the markets a beautiful old man played amazing old bar music on an ancient, decaying piano, a hat stand and bag of produce in my hands and a tray of strawberries in Kim's.
[morgan]

2 comments:

T'lia said...

I love the markets too, but I've never been to those ones. I go to the Big Pineapple on Saturdays... I am making strawberry jam too! Yay!

Also, I think the awesome popcorn is kettle corn?

xo
T

morgandkim said...

yeah, im pretty sure the same popcorn people are at Big Pineapple.
I love the Maleny Dairies cheese there. We go to Big Pineapple about once a month and get cheese, but I think Fishermans is heaps better for fruit and veg. Heaps more stalls and choice.

hope your jam goes well.
kim

Post a Comment

hello hello... we love hearing your thoughts... so tell us what you think right here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...